[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.9.0

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Mon Aug 27 09:33:43 CEST 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 09:12:12AM +0200, Roberto Resoli wrote:
> Il 24/08/2018 10:54, Roland Kammerer ha scritto:
> > This feature is documented here:
> > https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#s-proxmox-ls-HA
>
> Hello,
> I read and tried the described procedure, but my findings were not positive.
> In two cases the entire drbd storage freezed and all vm were stopped.

Could you describe these scenarios in more detail? How many nodes, where
was the controller VM started, what did you do exactly, autoboot of
other VMs? Sorry, as always, "does not work" is not good enough to debug
things.

> The main problem, if I understand well, is that even if proxmox plugin does
> not manage controller vm anymore, controller vm storage depends on itself.

What do you mean by that? The DRBD resource (== storage for the
controller VM) is brought up by the drbd.service and can then be
auto-promoted. The plugin code ignores that VM. The Proxmox HA service
should do its job and start the VM on one node. So again, where exactly
does that chain break in your setup?

> If it is stopped, or cannot be contacted, no corresponding resource will be
> created, resulting in a deadlock.

That is true. But how would that happen? The Proxmox HA feature should
make sure that the VM is always running (that is its job, isn't it). The
storage should be accessible, because up'ed by drbd.service.

Did Proxmox try to start another "autoboot" VM before the HA service
kicked in to start the controller VM? That would at least explain it. In
that case we have to document that "autoboot" has to be disabled if one
goes that route.

Thanks, rck