[DRBD-user] First test lab with drbd9 + linstor + Proxmox

Julien Escario julien.escario at altinea.fr
Tue Aug 21 10:48:36 CEST 2018

Le 20/08/2018 à 18:21, Robert Altnoeder a écrit :
> On 08/20/2018 05:03 PM, Julien Escario wrote:
>> My question was essentially about thinprov with ZFS. In recent versions
>> (2018), drbdmanage is able to skip full resync at volume creation with
>> ZvolThinLv2 plugin at least).
>
> I don't remember the exact status right now, it is planned, but I think it
> is not implemented yet. It might even work already, but I am pretty sure
> it's not tested yet.

It seems you already answered that :
https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-server/issues/1

Sorry for double-asking. Let's wait for update of the issue on github.

> Anyway, developer resources are limited, so as of now, we still have a
> rather typical command line client (it's actually a heavily adapted variant
> of the drbdmanage client). Using this client, people apparently had a hard
> time figuring out which objects they could create and where to start, and
> so the command line client was restructured to work with multiple levels of
> subcommands, where the first level is an object, not an action. This was
> done in order to make the list of top-level commands shorter.
>
> That's how you get "storage-pool create" instead, and sometimes there are
> leftovers in the documentation from before this change. We'll fix that in
> the documentation.

We really do not have a big concern here. Just to let you know.
It's just about having to learn a new command's syntax and internals, nothing
more. It happens almost every day in our kind of jobs.

>> Another one spotted right now : "6.5. Makinging the Controller
>> Highly-Availible" Should be 'making', I think.
>
> Yes, and while we're at it, let's make this "Available". Looks like we got
> 2 typos on one line here, must have been one of those days... ;)

Erf, I just copied the second typo without seeing it. Nice catch !

>> So I think equivalent of assign/unassign of drbdmanage is :

> Essentially yes, I think delete does not take the --storage-pool parameter
> though.

True. Unuseful parameter.
Let's try to move a ressource from a storage pool to another inside a node to
see if we can manually place resources as proxmox-linstor can't at the moment.

Thanks for all those details.

As always, I'll try to give you as much feedback as possible (OSS state of mind)
.

Julien