[DRBD-user] Some info

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:48:20 CEST 2017

Are you planning to use DRBD8 or DRBD9?

DRBD8 is limited to 2 nodes(max 3).
DRBD9 can scale to multiple nodes.

For DRBD8 the most common setup is RAID -> DRBD -> LVM  or  RAID -> LVM ->
DRBD
It’s management is way easier than DRBD9.

The most common DRBD9 setups are RAID -> LVM (thin or thick) -> DRBD  or
 HDD  ->  ZFS (thin or thick)  ->  DRBD.
Complicated management...

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 at 20:52, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > You can also do that with raid + lvm + drbd... you just need to create a
> new
> > drbd as you add a new LV, and also resize the drbd after you resize the
> LV.
>
> I prefere to keep drbd as minimum. I'm much more familiar with LVM.
> If not an issue, i prefere to keep the number of drbd resources as bare
> minimum.
>
> > If both drives fail on one node, then raid will pass the disk errors up
> > DRBD, which will mark the local storage as down, and yes, it will read
> all
> > needed data from remote node (writes are always sent to the remote node).
> > You would probably want to migrate the remote node to primary as quickly
> as
> > possible, and then work on fixing the storage.
>
> Why should I migrate the remote node to primary? Any advantage?
>
> > Yes, it is not some bizarre configuration that has never been seen
> before.
> > You also haven't mentioned the size of your proposed raid, nor what size
> you
> > are planning on growing it to?
>
> Currently, I'm planning to start with 2TB disks. I don't think to go
> over 10-12TB
>
> > Yes, you will always want multiple network paths between the two nodes,
> and
> > also fencing. bonding can be used to improve performance, but you should
> > *also* have an additional network or serial or other connection between
> the
> > two nodes which is used for fencing.
>
> Ok.
>
> Any "bare-metal" distribution with DRBD or detailed guide on how to
> implement HA?
> Something like FreeNAS, or similiar.

Sent from Gmail Mobile