[DRBD-user] DRBDv9 with iSCSI as scaleout SAN

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 10:52:30 CEST 2017

Just trying to figure out if drbd9 can do the job.

Requirement: a scale-out storage for VMs image hosting (and other
services, but they would be made by creating, in example, an NFS VM on
top of DRBD)

Let's assume a 3-nodes DRBDv9 cluster.
I would like to share this cluster by using iSCSI (or better protocol, if any).
Multiple proxmox nodes sharing this drbd cluster.

Probably, one drbd resource is created for each VM.

Now, some question:

how can I ensure that my iSCSI target is redundant across all nodes in
the cluster ?
When I have to add a fourth or fifth node to drbd cluster, should I
replicate the iscsi target configuration on both ?
Will the drbd resources automatically rebalanced across the new nodes ?
Should I change something in the iscsi/proxmox configuration after the
rebalance or is it transparent?

Any pitfalls or drawbacks ?