[DRBD-user] DRBD9 configuration with openstack-cinder-volume on multiple nodes

Marco Marino marino.mrc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:05:53 CET 2017

Hi, I'm trying to configure drbd9 with openstack-cinder.
Actually my (simplified) infrastructure is composed by:
- 2 drbd9 nodes with 2 NICs on each node, one for the "replication" network
(without using a switch) and one for the "storage" network.
- 1 compute node with a dedicated NIC connected to the storage network
- 1 controller with openstack-cinder-volume installed on it.

Please, review the configuration at
https://www.draw.io/#G1P2uJ9LoXc0bJdNRS9m2fN5cuik73t7_T

My questions are:
1) Using the DRBD Transport, can I connect directly compute nodes to the
drbd storage without passing through the cinder-volume node?
2) if yes, what I have to install on each node? I suppose:
drbd9 kernel module + utils + drbdmanage on DRBD1 and DRBD2
drbd9 kernel module + utils on COMPUTE nodes
drbdmanage on openstack-cinder-volume (???)

3) How should I configure openstack-cinder-volume in drbdmanage???
(External node or whatelse?) Please note that replication network and
storage network are 2 different subnets! IPs I've used in drbdmanage when I
created the drbd cluster belongs to the replication network. Is this
correct?

192.168.10.0/24 = replication network
192.168.20.0/24 = storage network

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused about this configuration
Thank you,
Marco