[DRBD-user] Control deployment?

Frank Rust f.rust at tu-braunschweig.de
Thu Nov 2 14:40:01 CET 2017

Hi all,
I have a question concerning deployment.

Lets assume I have cluster of three nodes of drbd9, all running virtualisation software (e.g. proxmox)

node1 has 30TB of free storage
node2 has 20TB of free storage
node3 has 10TB of free storage.

When I create a vm, residing on node3 with 80GB disk vm-image and redundancy 2, the system will put the image to node1 and node2, and assign it to node3 diskless.
That’s working fine of course, but I would prefer to have the image preferably on the node running the vm. So in case of network failure the machine would have at least a standalone disk.

But now I have the vm-image on node1 and node2 and diskless on node3. I can not simply "drbdmanage assign vm-image node3" because it is already there…

Is there any reasonable way to get along with this?

(Now I am solving this by migrate vm to node1, unassigned vm-image from node3, assign vm-image to node 3, migrate vm to node3, unassigned vm-image from node1, whats awful, error prone and somewhat waste of time)

Best regards,
Frank