[DRBD-user] drbd9 bug in node configuration

Remolina, Diego J dijuremo at aerospace.gatech.edu
Tue May 16 19:38:08 CEST 2017

Hi,

I spent quite some time trying to troubleshoot a problem when trying to configure drbd9 using zfs.

As I already had a an LVM partition for my os installation, I opted to use that for drbd. So I adjusted:

/etc/drbdmanaged.cfg to have the line:
drbdctrl-vg = aeos

I did the cluster initialization, added a second node and then proceeded to create resources and volumes.

I tried to use the zfs plugin for drbd and I just kept getting failure after failure because the volumes could not be created. It seems that drbd is not parsing properly the comments in the entry when you edit the node configuration.

I used: drbdmanage edit-config --node ae-srv06

[GLOBAL]
loglevel = INFO
space-check = true
storage-plugin = drbdmanage.storage.zvol.Zvol
max-peers = 3
max-port-nr = 7999
min-port-nr = 7000

[Node:ae-srv06]

[Plugin:Zvol]
volume-group = drbdpool # or the value of drbdctrl-vg if it is set and volume-group is unset
blocksize = 4k
zvol-path = /sbin
dev-path = /dev/zvol

So with the above configuration things do *not* work. The problem seems to be that you cannot have the comment in the volume-group line.

I ended up making lots of changes, even renamed the zfs pool as aeos (matching the LVM volume group) to see if that would help, but it did not. It was not until I took out the comment piece that things finally were happy:

[Plugin:Zvol]
volume-group = drbdpool
blocksize = 4k
zvol-path = /sbin
dev-path = /dev/zvol

Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps the developers can double check this and adjust accordingly.

On a last note, I tried deleting some of the test volumes and resources that failed creating while I still had the comment in the volume-group line, however, they are still showing as -> pending actions: remove

How can I purge those completely (backups and test)?

 [root at ae-srv06 ~]# drbdmanage list-volumes
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Name    | Vol ID |  Size | Minor |                                                                 | State |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| aehome  |      0 | 2 TiB |   104 |                                                                 |    ok |
| backups |      * |     * |     * |                                                                 |     * |
| test    |      * |     * |     * |                                                                 |     * |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
[root at ae-srv06 ~]# drbdmanage list-resources
| Name    |                                                                        |                   State |
| aehome  |                                                                        |                      ok |
| backups |                                                                        | pending actions: remove |
| test    |                                                                        | pending actions: remove |

Thanks,

Diego