[DRBD-user] DRBD and LVM Snapshots

Wed May 17 01:39:29 CEST 2017

On 15/05/17 02:11, Michael Hierweck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> up to now to use LVM (thick) provisioning to provide virtual disks for
> VMs: RAID => LVM => LV => DRBD => KVM/QEMU (virtio).
>
> We would like to be able to take snapshots from our virtual disks in
> order to be able to use them as readonly source to consistent backups.
> Therefore we would need to introduce a LVM thin provisioning layer
> somewhere.
>
> A. TP below DRBD
> RAID => LVM => LVM-TP => LV => DRBD => KVM/QEMU (virtio)
>
> - simple setup
> - I suppose going back to an older snapshost would this break DRBD and
> require a complete resync/verify run

This is what I do. When I need to restore a snapshot, I have done the
following:
dd from the snapshot to a temp file elsewhere (or increase the snapshot
size to be larger than the original disk image)
dd from the temp file to the DRBD device, we expect to get a write
error/run out of space at the end, because we can't write the DRBD
portion at the end of the drive.

I haven't attempted it, and it would be interesting to hear the required
process to simply use LVM to rollback to the snapshot, but suspect the
following steps are needed:
1) Stop the DRBD device (both primary and secondary)
2) rollback the LV using LVM tools
3) Start the DRBD device on the primary only
4) Re-initialise the DRBD device on the secondary
5) Start the DRBD device on the secondary

Comments?

Personally, that method doesn't work for me, since I can't "stop" the
DRBD device because it is constantly open (exported via iscsi)

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au