[DRBD-user] CentOS 7.3 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 w. DRBD v8.4.9-2: PANIC: ".1BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000014"

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Thu May 4 18:18:00 CEST 2017

On 04/26/2017 06:03 AM, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
> Just fyi, crashed again yesterday morning 7:06am, similar backtrace.
> crash output for bt, ps, task & vm attached. I've since downgraded the
> drbd module version from 8.4.9-2 to 8.4.9-1, waiting for the crash to
> replicate again. And, as expected, the folks @RedHat closed the bug
> after reopening it as notabug, blaming drbd.
If they really explicitly blamed DRBD, then I suggest reopening the bug
and requesting a copy of their root cause analysis that proves that DRBD
is causing the problem.

It will probably not lead to any results, because it can be assumed that
they were just trying to find anything that's out of the ordinary (like
out-of-tree code), so they can blame someone else and avoid having to
admit that they have no idea why it might have crashed.

Obviously, their point will be something like "noone knows what that
out-of-tree code might be doing"; granted, it's not an entirely invalid
point.
But then, I am quite sure - judging by the frequency and number of
kernel updates that are provided each year - that noone really knows
what the in-tree code might be doing, so one had better look there too
before blaming a piece of out-of-tree code that's pretty small compared
to all the other pieces of code that may have caused the crash.

best regards,
--
Robert Altnoeder
+43 1 817 82 92 0
robert.altnoeder at linbit.com

LINBIT | Keeping The Digital World Running
DRBD - Corosync - Pacemaker
f /  t /  in /  g+