[DRBD-user] drbdmanage: Error: I/O error while accessing persistent configuration storage

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Wed Jun 28 20:39:07 CEST 2017

I've been a drbd8 user for years. Today is my first experience with drbd9 (9.0.1) under SLES 12 SP2.

Most things seem to be going okay, but I keep getting "Error: I/O error while accessing persistent configuration storage."

I'm not expecting many people here to know what that means because it only produces about 6 Google hits, but it anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated!

See below, where I try to re-init the cluster again...

ha11a:/etc/drbd.d # drbdmanage init 198.51.100.65

You are going to initialize a new drbdmanage cluster.
CAUTION! Note that:
  * Any previous drbdmanage cluster information may be removed
  * Any remaining resources managed by a previous drbdmanage installation
    that still exist on this system will no longer be managed by drbdmanage

Confirm:

  yes/no: yes
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl_0" successfully removed
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl_1" successfully removed
WARNING: drbdmanage_control_volume signature detected on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_0 at offset 0. Wipe it? [y/n]: y
  Wiping drbdmanage_control_volume signature on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_0.
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl_0" created.
WARNING: drbdmanage_control_volume signature detected on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_1 at offset 0. Wipe it? [y/n]: y
  Wiping drbdmanage_control_volume signature on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_1.
  Logical volume ".drbdctrl_1" created.
You want me to create a v09 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There appears to be a v09 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_0 at byte offset 4190208

Do you really want to overwrite the existing meta-data?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***
md_offset 4190208
al_offset 4157440
bm_offset 4153344

Found some data

==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***
initializing activity log
NOT initializing bitmap
Writing meta data...
New drbd meta data block successfully created.
You want me to create a v09 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There appears to be a v09 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_1 at byte offset 4190208

Do you really want to overwrite the existing meta-data?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***
md_offset 4190208
al_offset 4157440
bm_offset 4153344

Found some data

==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
*** confirmation forced via --force option ***
initializing activity log
NOT initializing bitmap
Writing meta data...
New drbd meta data block successfully created.
empty drbdmanage control volume initialized.
empty drbdmanage control volume initialized.
Operation completed successfully
ha11a:/etc/drbd.d # drbdmanage add-node ha11b 198.51.100.66
Operation completed successfully
Operation completed successfully

Executing join command using ssh.
IMPORTANT: The output you see comes from ha11b
IMPORTANT: Your input is executed on ha11b
You are going to join an existing drbdmanage cluster.

--
Eric Robinson
Chief Information Officer