[DRBD-user] Dual primary and LVM

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Jul 26 16:14:29 CEST 2017

Hi all,
I have a possibly naive question about a dual primary setup involving
LVM devices on top of DRBD.

The main question is: using cLVM or native LVM locking, can I safely use
a LV block device on the first node, *close it*, and reopen it on the
second one? No filesystem is involved and no host is expected to
concurrently use the same LV.

Scenario: two CentOS 7 + DRBD 8.4 nodes with LVs on top of DRBD on top
of a physical RAID array. Basically, DRBD replicate anything written to
the specific hardware array.

Goal: having a redundant virtual machine setup, where vms can be live
migrated between the two hosts.

Current setup: I currently run a single-primary, dual nodes setup, where
the second host has no access at all to any LV. This setup worked very
well in the past years, but it forbid using live migration (the
secondary host has no access to the LV-based vdisk attached to the vms,
so it is impossible to live migrate the running vms).

I thought to use a dual-primary setup to have the LVs available on
*both* nodes, using a lock manager to arbitrate access to them.

How do you see such a solution? It is workable? Or would you recommend
to use a clustered filesystem on top of the dual-primary DRBD device?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico