[DRBD-user] User's guide errata: resize requirements

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 00:25:57 CEST 2017

On http://docs.linbit.com/doc/users-guide-84/s-resizing/ states that an
online re-size requires your backing devices are on a 'logical volume
management subsystem, such as LVM'.  The 8.3 manual contains similar, and
9.0 may as well

I believe this is in error, because mdadm, iscsi, and SAS RAID backing
devices would work just fine if they can be grown online as well and
there's no partitions (like msdos or gpt) in the way.

I propose replacing:
1) The affected resource’s backing device must be one managed by a logical
volume management subsystem, such as LVM.
2) The resource must currently be in the Connected connection state.
with:
1) The affected resource’s backing devices must themselves be able to be
gown online, such as LVM LV, mdadm raid device, iSCSI lun, DAS Raid or
others.
2) The affected resource’s backing devices must NOT be an MSDos or GPT
partition as partitions can not be resized online.
3) The resource must currently be in the Connected connection state.

Also, I believe I was able to successfully resize a resource with both
sides primary, which the documentation advises against.  Did drbdadm let me
put my resource at risk, or is there some reasoning that should accompany
the manual's advice against it?