[DRBD-user] Testing new DRBD9 dedicated repo for PVE

Michele Rossetti rossetti at sardi.it
Tue Jan 3 14:58:32 CET 2017

Thanks, Rob,
I understand that you use PVE and DRBD only for testing and not in
production, right?

>Il 02/01/2017 14:53, Michele Rossetti ha scritto:
>>  One advice from who use drbd9 on PVE in production, please: we have a
>>  cluster of 3 PVe 4.3 servers with the last DRBD version available prom
>>  PVE repository.
>>
>>  I read on the list that there are several problems with new DRBD
>>  version,
>
>I have switched to linbit repo, but I don't think that there are more
>problems than with pve ones; in my configuration I still have some
>issues (with qmrestore towards drbd storage, and automatic start of
>resources at boot, mainly), but I can't say that these are new or
>specific to linbit provided components.
>
>>  not more included on PVE repository, but I don't understand if
>>  they are related only with som configuration or with the new changes on
>>  drbdmanage.
>
>See my former notes; in my experience I still have many doubts about
>using DRBD9 with PVE in production, even if I have it running for
>several months now. In particular I think that PVE DRBD9 storage
>integration needs refinements (storage occupation still does not
>correctly accounts for redundancy, and lacks features (such as volume
>resizing).

So the only alternative seems to use Ceph, which seems more complex
than DRBD and slower on Gigabit networks? (but the wrong show of
storage occupation doesn't seem to me a big problem).

>On DRBD9 side, I still note randomly out-of-sync on some resources after
>node reboot, which I am able to fix only manually (disconnecting and
>reconnecting after some time, and similar ...)
>
>>  In other words: can we upgrade without problems to PVE 4.4 and to DRBD
>>  last software on Linbit repository, or to PVE 4.4 from Proxmox
>>  repository and to latest DRBD from Linbit repository? Or it's better to
>>  wait some time, to avoid problems on production systems?
>
>I recommend to upgrade to 4.4, firstly. In any case, given that Proxmox
>will not provide further support for DRBD9 in PVE, you should consider
>the switch to linbit repo in any case, if you want to keep using it in
>the future.

To upgrade to 4.4 can I use the Linbit repository? Which address is
to add on apt-get sources.list?
I suppose the Proxmox address is to be removed from list, right?
(This will be a problem for people using PVE enterprise repository,
but it's not my case).
Moreover, it's possible, after the sources.list modification, to use
update button in PVE GUI?

Sorry for my maybe stupid questions...
Certain that if Linbit had not created these difficulties ... I am
afraid that the roads between PVE and DRBD will diverge
completelyover time.
Michele

>>  Thanks and happy New Year,
>
>Same to you,
>rob

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
MICRO srl
Informatica e Telecomunicazioni - Web services - Web sites

       	Michele Rossetti

sede legale: via Raffa Garzia 7   09126 Cagliari (Italy)
sede operativa: viale Marconi 222  09131 Cagliari
Ph. +39 070 400240  Fax +39 070 4526207

MKM-REG
Web:  http://www.microsrl.com     http://www.sardi.it
E-mail: microsrl at microsrl.com