[DRBD-user] Proxmox VE 4.x DRBD 9 plugin - how is it supposed to work?

Sean M. Pappalardo spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Tue Feb 28 16:52:03 CET 2017

Hello again.

On 02/28/2017 12:44 AM, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> Yes it uses dual-primary, only during the migration. From what we saw it
> works reasonably well in these scenarios.

Any risk of data loss? I plan to use this in production, though don't
plan on live-migrating VMs often.

>> is problem #1. I tried to create a test VM to see if it would work
>> anyway, but it fails with "drbd error: Deployment node count exceeds the
>> number of nodes in the cluster" which is problem #2.
>
> Yes, you configured "redundancy 2", obviously that is not possible with
> one node (drbdmange only knows about the drbdmanage nodes, which is 1 in
> your case).

Would setting it to "redundancy 1" work then? (I did try that setting to
see if it would show free space but no. I didn't yet try adding a VM in
that state.)

> There is no "import old resources" feature,

Interesting. The docs say that DRBD 9 can use DRBD 8.x config files with
a few adjustments. (E.g. syncer rate is no longer recognized.) But I'm
no longer trying to do that.

> and therefore "not
> supported". So you want to temporarily connect drbd8.3 and drbd9 managed
> by drbdmanage? That calls for troubles. Multiple page filling troubles.

Not exactly, I just want to be able to activate storage on this DRBD9
node - stand-alone for now - so I can put some VMs on it. Then I will
upgrade the other node's OS, wipe and reconfigure its storage, then
actually add it to the DRBD 9 cluster.

>> Third question: Is DRBD 9 considered production stable yet? (This should
>> probably be my first question! :) )
>
> From what I see here, you were happy with an outdated 8.3 setup,

Only because that's all the distro had available as I was running an old
one. This is part of the reason for the upgrade. Unfortunately,
Proxmox's kernel includes the DRBD 9 module only. (Is there any chance
Linbit's repo could offer a package that supplies the 8.4 module so we
users can choose until 9.x is production-stable?)

Thank you very much for your reply!

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo