[DRBD-user] Issues with a DRBD9 two node setup

Gerwim Feiken info at gerwim.nl
Fri Feb 17 12:58:02 CET 2017

Hi guys,

First of all: I'm really impressed with DRBD9, so good job!

My problem: drbdmanage completely breaks when one of the two nodes is down. Drbdadm commands still work perfectly fine (and I can still mount the LVs hosted on the online node).
My setup is quite simple: two Ubuntu 16.04 nodes using DRBD9, using drbdmanage (0.99.2. From the Linbit PPA.

After shutting down node bravo:
root at alpha:~# drbdmanage nodes
Waiting for server: ...............
No nodes defined

root at alpha:~# drbdmanage ping
pong

root at alpha:~# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  bravo connection:Connecting

volume1 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  bravo connection:Connecting

volume2 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  bravo connection:Connecting

I have not made .drbdctrl primary as Robert said here: http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2016-June/023002.html.

After starting the bravo node again:
root at alpha:~# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  bravo role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

volume1 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  bravo role:Secondary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

volume2 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  bravo role:Secondary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

root at alpha:~# drbdmanage nodes
Waiting for server: .
| Name  | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                                                    | State |
| alpha |     51196 |     49132 |                                                                    |    ok |
| bravo |     51196 |     49132 |                                                                    |    ok |

TLDR: drbdmanage completely breaks while drbdadm commands still work (including mounting LVs) when one of the two nodes is down.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,
Gerwim Feiken