[DRBD-user] drbd8 vs drbd9 performance over 10Gbit link

Igor Cicimov igorc at encompasscorporation.com
Thu Feb 9 22:55:26 CET 2017

On 9 Feb 2017 6:02 pm, "Dr. Volker Jaenisch" <volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de>
wrote:

Hi!

I have two pairs of servers over the same 10 Gbit link:

1) Pair A is replicating a 1TB Sata Disk using drbd8 (Debian Jessie 8.6).

2) Pair B is replicating a 0.8TB Volume with an unterlying hardware Raid
10 consisting out of 6 SAS Disks, Stripe 16k utilizing drbd9 (Kernel 4.4
Proxmox)

The server pair B should beat server pair A by at least by a factor of 3.

Can't speak about drbd9 side but have you done a base benchmark of the disk
throughput to actually prove that and eliminate any hardware issues or
misconfiguration on the pair B?

In case of a sync:

* Pair A delivers a sync rate of 20 Mb/sec.

* Pair B delivers a sync rate of 1 MB/sec

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated

Volker