[DRBD-user] Automatically reconnect secondary as primary when primary is lost during sync

Sam Gardner lwnexgen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:37:25 CET 2017

Suppose I have two DRBD devices separately provisioned as Primary. When the
second node connects, it syncs the data from the first (primary/master)
node.

During this sync, the Primary/SyncSource node loses power.

Is there an automatic split brain recovery method that will allow us to
recover from this scenario? Everything I have tried results in the second
node becoming primary (good) but unable to connect to the original primary
(bad), so we end up with something like this:

version: 8.4.7 (api:1/proto:86-101)
srcversion: 0904DF2CCF7283ACE07D07A

1: cs:StandAlone ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r----s
ns:0 nr:0 dw:68 dr:2401 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f
oos:1048508

It's easy enough to manually recover from this but I'm looking for an
automatic recovery and none of the 8.4 options in
https://docs.linbit.com/doc/users-guide-83/s-configure-split-brain-behavior/#s-automatic-split-brain-recovery-configuration
seem
to do what we need.

I *don't* care about the original data (it's just used as a sort of shared
cache that we can live with being empty), so something that lets the
original node reconnect as Secondary with an empty dataset is fine.