[DRBD-user] multiple pools

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Tue Dec 12 11:54:54 CET 2017

On 12/12/2017 11:10 AM, Julien Escario wrote:

> Hello,
> May we have a pointer to linstor informations ? I can't find any info on this
> software by googling 5 min.
>
> Best regards,
> Julien Escario
That's because no information about the project has been publicly
released so far.

A very concise overview is:
- It is a completely new design and implementation meant as a
replacement for the existing drbdmanage
- It's a two-component system comprising a controller and a satellite
component
- All communication is through TCP/IP (no control volume, no D-Bus),
plain or encrypted (SSL/TLS)
- It supports multiple storage pools
- It does not keep persistent information on DRBD's state
- Instead, it tracks DRBD state changes and makes decisions based on
what state the external environment is in
- The configuration is kept in an embedded SQL database
- It's a parallelized system (multiple nodes can run multiple actions
concurrently)
- It has very extensive logging and error reporting to make tracking
problems as easy as possible
- It has multiuser-security (different strength levels can be configured
as required)
- The controller and satellite components are implemented in Java
  (currently Java 7 compatible, with plans to move to Java 8 in the future)
- The first command-line client for it is still written in Python
- It's currently still in a very early stage (an experimental version
for LINBIT-internal tests will be ready within a few days)
- There are currently three developers working full-time on it, with a
fourth one joining in 2018

best regards,
--
Robert Altnoeder