[DRBD-user] DRBD and future failures

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Tue Dec 5 10:05:52 CET 2017

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 10:52:55AM +0000, Stephen Lemarquis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For investigate future failures:
> Currently:
> 1 primary Debian9-Stretch DRBD server
> 1 secondary Debian9-Stretch DRBD server
>
> The servers have only one system disk, we do not have a RAID1.
>
> If we make a clone of each disc, the day a disc dies, by putting the
> disc that we have previously cloned, it will work? Or will it still be
> necessary to remake the system from A to Z?

DRBD keeps track of the generations, but the history is limited, so the
history of the clone you put in your shelf might be so old that the
surviving disk at one point does not know that they had a common
history. In that case you then need a full sync.

In general that sounds like a questionable idea. Disks are cheap and you
need the space for the clone anyways. Put your stuff on a local RAID,
LVM on top of it and mirror your LVs via DRBD.

Regards, rck