[DRBD-user] Issue creating volume with drbdmanage in 9.0.4/8.9.8

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Thu Sep 8 11:05:01 CEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 08:35:39AM +0100, John Colgrave wrote:
> drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com wrote on 07/09/2016 14:30:46:
>
> > The next step is to run:
> > drbdmanage add-volume QM1 3GB --deploy 3
> >
> > Before today, running drbdmanage list-assignments after that looked
> > OK but now when I run it I get:
> >
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > +
> > | Node          | Resource | Vol ID |    | State |
> >
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> > | ip-10-0-1-66  | QM1      |      * |    | FAILED(3), pending
> > actions: connect |
> > | ip-10-0-1-66  | QM1      |      0 |    |             pending
> > actions: attach |
> > | ip-10-0-2-66  | QM1      |      * |    | FAILED(3), pending
> > actions: connect |
> > | ip-10-0-2-66  | QM1      |      0 |    |             pending
> > actions: attach |
> > | ip-10-0-3-151 | QM1      |      * |    | FAILED(3), pending
> > actions: connect |
> > | ip-10-0-3-151 | QM1      |      0 |    |             pending
> > actions: attach |
> >
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > +
>
> I added a second volume and that seemed OK but the first volume remained
> in this state.

The first one reached the maximum fail count (3 is the default). So it
will not be considered for further actions. "resume-all" resets the fail
counts and tries again. Maybe increase the debug level to "debug" an
check in the log files what went wrong.

> Would it be possible to revert the PPA to the previous release until this
> is fixed, or add the previous release to the PPA so that if someone needs
> to install the previous release they can?

This is not how PPAs work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no
versioning and going back, that would AFAIK require a second "testing"
PPA. In the tests I did now (just about 10 dual volume resources) it
worked, so I'm not willing to revert everything (kernel, utils, dm) as
long as we don't even know what went wrong in your case.

Regards, rck