[DRBD-user] Xen FreeBSD guest on LVM + drbd, mount root fails with error 19

niek at bigfoot.com niek at bigfoot.com
Fri Oct 28 02:33:34 CEST 2016

We are trying to run a FreeBSD guest from drbd.

dom0: Xen 4.4 (debian jessie), LVM2, drbd 8.4
domu: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE HVM guest using ufs.

Using internal metadata.

FreeBSD guest boots fine from LVM using Xen config
'disk' /dev/<vg>/<volume>.

Trying to boot this guest from drbd:
drbd-overview: resource primary, connected, uptodate/uptodate.
FreeBSD guest boot from drbd device
'disk' /dev/drbdx fails.

(I know hvm guest cannot be used with drbd:<resource>)

guest disk partitioning:
boot device : xbd0p1
/ : xbd0p2

dmesg:
(boots)
GEOM: xbd0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: xbd0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/xbd0p2 [rw]...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/xbd0p2...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/xbd0p2 failed with error 19.

Looking for pointers how to address this issue.

Niek