[DRBD-user] ZFS

Igor Cicimov igorc at encompasscorporation.com
Mon Oct 17 11:30:34 CEST 2016

On 17 Oct 2016 6:11 pm, "Gandalf Corvotempesta" <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il 17 ott 2016 09:01, "Jan Schermer" <jan at schermer.cz> ha scritto:
> >
> > 3 storages, many more hypervisors, data triplicated... that's the usual
scenario

> Are you using drbd9 with a 3 nodes replication?
> could you please share the drbd config?
>
> > We use ZFS on the storages, ZVOLs on top of that, each ZVOL makes up
part of the DRBD resource that gets exported to the hypervisor.

> No raid volumes?
> are you creating a single drbd resource for each storage disk?  (In
example, in a server with 12 disks are you creating 12 drbd resources?)

> i would like to create a raidz2 on each node but the resulting volume is
not seen as block device thus can't be used as drbd resource

And thats why you create zvol then and use it as backing device for the
drbd device. How many zvols/drbds you create depends on the raidz2 size and
your needs. Each zvol backed drbd is then given to the hypervisor to be
used as vm volume.

> I can create a raid6 with mdadm, use that volume for drbd and put zfs on
top of it but there are too many moving parts stacked together,  that would
be a perfect reciepe for a huge mess