[DRBD-user] BAD! .... messages

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at omiha.com
Mon Nov 21 21:49:56 CET 2016

Hi Roland,

On 21/11/16 21:31, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 04:52:14PM +1300, Jan Bakuwel wrote:
>> Hi Lars,

>>> No, you are NOT running drbd 8.9.  That's the version of the userland tools.
>>>
>>> You want to check (and upgrade) your kernel module.
>>> Check: modinfo drbd; head /proc/drbd
>> Ok. I'm running kernel module 8.4.3 with 8.9 userland tools:
>>
>> root at ns8p2:~# modinfo drbd
>> filename:
>> /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/block/drbd/drbd.ko
>> alias:          block-major-147-*
>> license:        GPL
>> version:        8.4.3
>>
>> ... is this still something I can safely ignore (and not fixed)?
> We are back at what Lars said: "You want to check (and upgrade) your
> kernel module.". Don't miss the upgrade part just because it is in
> parentheses. Out-of-tree 8.4.3 was February *2013*.

I didn't miss the "upgrade part" but needed a little time to get my head
around that.

I've used Debian for years and have come to rely on the "rock solid"
reputation as advertised as well as personally experienced. It's not
feasible (for me) to know all intricate details of kernel versions and
(in)compatible modules or drivers, instead I'm relying on the great work
the Debian community (and you guys!) do.

I'm using the current Debian stable assuming (wrongly perhaps?) that
that would give me a stable operating platform with software (kernel,
userland etc) all from the stable repositories. Debian Jessie apparently
packages kernel module 8.4.3 with userland tools 8.9.2~rc1-2+deb8u1.

Are you saying that the Debian kernel maintainers missed including a
required / important / critical update to the drbd kernel module in the
stock kernel shipped with Debian Jessie?

If so, are you advising to upgrade the kernel as well as the drbd kernel
module?
Or are you advising to only upgrade the drbd kernel module? If so to
which version should I upgrade it?

According to
https://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-84/s-upgrading-drbd, I need to
obtain a hash from Linbit support if I want to use the Linbit provided
packages for Debian. Would that upgrade the Debian maintained kernel to
a Linbit maintained kernel? What is required to obtain the hash?

kind regards,
Jan

--

Omiha Systems Ltd