[DRBD-user] Use different volumegroups for control volume and storage possible?

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Tue Nov 1 10:18:00 CET 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 07:55:11AM +0100, Toni Bolduan wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> Now I want to try to add another lvm vg for the storage, but how to do?
> I think i would overwrite the existing config when doing the following, do
> I?:
>
> [Plugin:Lvm]
> volume-group = storagepool # or the value of drbdctrl-vg if it is set and
> volume-group is unset
> lvm-path = /sbin
> dev-path = /dev/
>

> Or is this then an additional entry next to drbdpool?

Hi Toni,

for every node you can set exactly one storage plugin you want to use
(lvm, zpools, *thin variants of them,...). For a plugin you can set
exactly one volume group. When you then start creating DRBD resources,
the particular node will always use that one storage plugin and it will
always create the backing devices on that single VG.

Both settings (the plugin and the VG) should be done before you start
creating DRBD resources. If you change these settings later, hell will
break lose. Don't do that.

What is possible is that you mix storage plugings/VGs in your cluster
(one node on LVM/mylvmpool, the other on ZFS/myfancypantsyzpool,...).

Regards, rck