[DRBD-user] Drbd9 errors and warning mismatches

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu Jul 21 14:07:49 CEST 2016

On 07/21/2016 09:56 AM, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 11:10:58AM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
>>
>> First when creating a new ressource and using this ressource I always
>> get the message on the system console about a failed state change.
>>
>> My ressources are properly synced on each node, but the warning is a bit
>> scary. Should I simply ignore it ?
>>
>>     [  196.730357] drbd .drbdctrl: State change failed: Peer may not
>> become primary while device is opened read-only
>
> Maybe looks scary, but you can ignore that. A second node tried to open
> the control volume while it was in use, that's it.

OK, thanks !

Looking at the output of dmesg --level err it looks like the message

" State change failed: Peer may not become primary while device is
opened read-only"

is sent with the KERN_ERR printk priority.

If the message is innocuous, then maybe it would make sense to reduce
the priority to KERN_WARNING or KERN_NOTICE so it is logged but not
displayed on the system console ?

One would expect that messages displayed on the system console to
require urgent action, as we interrupt the workflow of an admin doing
maintenance work.