[DRBD-user] DRBD: Using different versions ( 8.9.2-rc1 and 8.3.13) temporarily

Köster, Michael Michael.Koester at funkemedien.de
Mon Jul 11 11:42:40 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I'm planning to finally update our Wheezy xen cluster (just two servers) to Jessie. My plan is to update the xen host xen40 (all drbd-devices on this node are in state secondary) and then to stop the virtual machines on the primary node (xen41) and to start them on the updated xen-host (xen40). Thus my question is: will DRBD synchronize all changes although DRBD is running in a mixed mode, i.e., a Jessie DRBD (8.9.2-rc1) on node xen40 and a Wheezy DRBD (8.3.13) on node xen41.

=== The initial setting ===
xen40:
- Wheezy (DRBD 8.3.13)
- no vms running
xen41:
- Wheezy (DRBD 8.3.13)
- all vms running here

=== After upgrading to Jessie ===
xen40:
- Jessie (DRBD 8.9.2-rc1)
- no vms running
xen41:
- Wheezy (DRBD 8.3.13)
- all vms running here

=== The next steps ===
1. Stop particular VM on xen41.
2. Wait for DRBD to finish synchronization.
3. Start particular VM on xen40
4. Start with 1.
5. Upgrade xen41 to Jessie

Thank you in advance for your help and best regards,

Michael Köster

FUNKE Corporate IT GmbH
Friedrichstr. 34-38, 45128 Essen
Sitz Essen, Registergericht Essen HRB 23241
Geschäftsführer: Michael Kurowski, Michael Wüller