[DRBD-user] DRBD Recovery actions without Pacemaker

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Jul 7 16:48:18 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 07:16:51AM -0400, James Ault wrote:
> Here is a scenario:
>
> Two identical servers running RHEL 6.7,
> Three RAID5 targets, with one Logical volume group and one logical volume
> defined on top of each target.
> A DRBD device defined on top of each logical volume, and then an XFS file
> system defined on top of each DRBD device.
>
> The two identical servers are right on top of one another in the rack, and
> connected by a single ethernet cable for a private network.
>
> The configuration works as far as synchronization between DRBD devices.
>
> We do NOT have pacemaker as part of this configuration at management's
> request.
>
> We have the XFS file system mounted on server1, and this file system is
> exported via NFS.
>
> The difficulty lies in performing failover actions without pacemaker
> automation.
>
> The file system is mounted, and those status flags on the file system are
> successfully mirrored to server2.
>
> If I disconnected all wires from server1 to simulate system failure, and
> promoted server2 to primary on one of these file systems, and attempted to
> mount it, the error displayed is "file system already mounted".
>
> I have searched the xfs_admin and mount man pages thoroughly to find an
> option that would help me overcome this state.
>
> Our purpose of replication is to preserve and recover data in case of
> failure, but we are unable to recover or use the secondary copy in our
> current configuration.
>
> How can I recover and use this data without introducing pacemaker to our
> configuration?

If you want to do manual failover (I believe we have that also
documented in the User's Guide), all you do is

drbdadm primary $res
mount /dev/drbdX /some/where

That's also exactly what pacemaker would do.

If that does not work,
you have it either "auto-mounted" already by something,
or you have some file system UUID conflict,
or something else is very wrong.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed