[DRBD-user] Misleading error messages from drbdadm up (IP not found on this host)

Matthew Vernon mcv21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 18:08:46 CET 2016

On 27/01/16 11:10, Matthew Vernon wrote:

> root at odochium:~# drbdadm attach mws-priv-7
> 87: Failure: (127) Device minor not allocated
> additional info from kernel:
> unknown minor
> Command 'drbdsetup-84 attach 87 /dev/guests/mwsig-mws-priv-7
> /dev/guests/mwsig-mws-priv-7 internal' terminated with exit code 10
>
> /dev/drbd87 does indeed not exist, but normally drbd creates these for
> me (and has done so for the previous 86).
>
> Is there some limit to the number of drbd devices I can have?

As far as I can tell, the answer is "yes, it's controlled by minor-count
in the drbd configuration". Which I think is not supposed to be the case
with 8.4? [I have 8.4.5]

This list posting from 2014 says that minor-count had to be set for 8.3,
but shouldn't be necessary for 8.4:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/26150#26150

And, indeed, TFM suggests that.

But, I edited my global configuration to set minor-count, and now
everything works.

Is this a bug? Regardless, I think the drbdadm up is clearly buggy...

Regards,

Matthew