[DRBD-user] drbdmanage : error in reporting free space with thin-lvm ?

Julien Escario escario at azylog.net
Fri Jan 22 11:53:09 CET 2016

Hello,
Today, I've been stuck in creation a new volumes (with proxmox) on a 2 nodes
cluster because it reports "Not enough free space".

I checked a few settings on the machines :
> # drbdmanage list-nodes
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Name | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                                                     | State |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | vm4  |    976632 |     22784 |                                                                     |    ok |
> | vm5  |    953864 |        16 |                                                                     |    ok |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

(same on both nodes, copies set to 2).

So drbdmanage reports 16MB free on vm5 which is really strange because I only
have on lv of 100GB on the thinpool :
> # lvs
>   LV               VG       Attr       LSize   Pool         Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
>   .drbdctrl_0      drbdpool -wi-ao----   4.00m
>   .drbdctrl_1      drbdpool -wi-ao----   4.00m
>   drbdthinpool     drbdpool twi-aotz-- 931.25g                     10.74  5.68
>   vm-100-disk-1_00 drbdpool Vwi-aotz-- 100.02g drbdthinpool        100.00

So 100GB on a 931,25GB thinpool takes all the place ? Where did my free space go ?

Investigating a bit further shows that drbdmanage reports free space on the VG :
> # vgs
> VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
> drbdpool 1 4 0 wz--n- 931.51g 16.00m

Could this be a bug in free space reporting by drbdmanage with thin-lvm backend
or am I missing something ?

Let continue :
I can see that I still have deleted volumes and ressources :
> # drbdmanage list-resources
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Name          |                                                                  |                   State |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | vm-100-disk-1 |                                                                  |                      ok |
> | vm-101-disk-1 |                                                                  | pending actions: remove |
> | vm-101-disk-2 |                                                                  |                      ok |
> | vm-109-disk-1 |                                                                  |                      ok |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

But removing them doesn't change a thing :
> # drbdmanage delete-resource vm-109-disk-1
> You are going to remove the resource 'vm-109-disk-1' and all of its volumes from all nodes of the cluster.
> Please confirm:
> yes/no: yes
> Operation completed successfully
> # drbdmanage list-nodes
> | Name | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                                       | State |
> | vm4  |    976632 |     22784 |                                                       |    ok |
> | vm5  |    953864 |        16 |                                                       |    ok |

Any idea of what could cause this ? Perhaps the pending action ? Is there a way
to force this ?

Best regards,
Julien