[DRBD-user] DRBD9 Satellite nodes

Adam Goryachev adam at websitemanagers.com.au
Thu Apr 21 17:40:39 CEST 2016

On 22/04/2016 01:27, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 12:41:59AM +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:

>>> That has nothing to do with satellite or not.
>>>
>>> If you specified a deployment count while creating the volume
>>> (new-volume -d) the volume gets automatically deployed on a set of "best"
>>> nodes. If you did not, you have to assign (assign-resource) to one or
>>> multiple nodes. Then you get a /dev/drbdXYZ on that nodes and use it as
>>> any drbd resource.
>>>
>> Otherwise, what exactly is the point of a Satellite node which is a pure
>> client (ie, no local storage)? What does it add to the DRBD structure?
> - it has no local storage, so it accesses the drbd data via the
>    network,it is a "drbd client".
> - it accesses the drbdmanage control volume, which is a drbd resource
>    itself, and where the cluster information is stored, via TCP/IP. The
>    reason satellites exist is that currently a drbd volume is limited to
>    32 nodes. As the cluster information is stored on a drbd volume, that
>    would limit the whole cluster to 32 nodes. That is avoided with
>    satellite nodes that get their cluster configuration via TCP/IP, so
>    you can keep adding a lot more than 32 nodes to you cluster.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. That is really my question though. I have
a DRBD Client, ie, no local storage, receiving the drbdmanage control
volume via tcp/ip, but how do I mount the DRBD volume? eg, on the node
which has the data locally, I can simply mount /dev/drbd101 /mnt, but
now I want to do something similar from the DRBD client machine (not at
the same time, not dual primary, just one node at a time should use the
volume).

Regards,
Adam