[DRBD-user] DRBD9 Satellite nodes

Adam Goryachev adam at websitemanagers.com.au
Thu Apr 21 16:41:59 CEST 2016

On 22/04/2016 00:20, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:54:05PM +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've setup a few DRBD9 machines as a storage cluster with 4 nodes, plus one
>> "satellite" node.
>>
>> I was wondering how I can access the content on the various DRBD volumes
>> from the rest of the cluster?
> That has nothing to do with satellite or not.
>
> If you specified a deployment count while creating the volume
> (new-volume -d) the volume gets automatically deployed on a set of "best"
> nodes. If you did not, you have to assign (assign-resource) to one or
> multiple nodes. Then you get a /dev/drbdXYZ on that nodes and use it as
> any drbd resource.

My deployment count is currently set to 2. So there are two storage
nodes with a copy of the data.

I think I was looking for the DRBD "Client" mode, which appeared to be
the same as a DRBD Satellite node, with no local storage.

*Satellite nodes* have:

  * No direct access to the control volume, they receive a copy of the
    cluster configuration via TCP/IP.
  * Local storage if it is a normal satellite node
  * No local storage if it is a pure client

Otherwise, what exactly is the point of a Satellite node which is a pure
client (ie, no local storage)? What does it add to the DRBD structure?

Regards,
Adam