[DRBD-user] How efficient is DRBD during Sync?

Christian Völker chrischan at knebb.de
Wed Oct 21 21:57:13 CEST 2015

Hi all,

just a simple question for my own curiosity.

Assume a two node master-slave setup. Disk on the master fails. All
reads and writes go through the slave (master remains primary).

Now the disk on the primary is replaced and the full sync is started.

Now let's say the sync is at 40% and a write occurs which fits into the
not yet synced 60% of the disk.

Ist the block now written in parallel to both nodes and marked on the
primary as "already synced" or does the write affect only the slave and
during the remaining sync the block is copied back to the primary?

Just curious....

Thanks!

Chrischan