[DRBD-user] Ubuntu 14.04 kernel now has drbd 8.4.5 but drbd-utils is still 8.4.4 so drbdadm wait-connect fails on netlink

Jacob.Van.Der.Meulen at esa.int Jacob.Van.Der.Meulen at esa.int
Thu Oct 8 18:44:04 CEST 2015

Hi,

I installed two systems with Ubuntu 14.04 and updated them with all available
updates. The kernel version is 3.19.0. It has drbd kernel module version
8.4.5 and drbd8-utils version 8.4.4. Now the drbdadm commands complain about
the version mismatch "you should upgrade your drbd tools!" Even more
problematic is that the command drbdadm wait-connect  comes with an error
message "error creating netlink socket". This command is used in the standard
start/stop script /etc/init.d/drbd.

Unfortunately Ubuntu has no update yet for the drbd8-utils package. I found
out that starting with drbd 8.4.5 the userland tools now have their own
repository and have new version numbers (e.g. 8.9.4). I could not find out
what version should be used for the drbd 8.4.5 version but it seems these
versions can handle several drbd kernel versions. So I downloaded the version
8.9.4 and built it. As I do not want to get too much unknown changes to my
Ubuntu configuration I just copied the drbdadm-84 and drbdsetup-84 to /sbin
and replaced the /sbin/drbdadm and /sbin/drbdsetup by soft links to the 84
versions. Now the wait-connect is not failing anymore. However the tool is
still complaining about the version difference: "please don't mix different
DRBD series.".

I wonder if my approach does not have side effects as I only replaced drbdadm
and drdbsetup.

I wonder when there will be a Debian/Ubuntu package available with the new
drbd-utils version which could be used on Ubuntu 14.04.

I wonder why the new version of drbd8-utils complains on the drbd kernel
module version while there is no drbd8-utils version 8.4.5 available.

Has anyone already some answers?

Regards,

Jacob van der Meulen
content is not permitted.