[DRBD-user] DRBD and XFS filesystem on lvm corruption

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Nov 23 12:20:10 CET 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 06:23:16PM +0530, Ajay Yadav wrote:
> Hi,
> i have DRBD device working on lvm which is of type xfs. when i run
> xfs_check on this volume it always fails with error

Does not necessarily have something to do with DRBD.

XFS went bad on me on some file systems, without DRBD involved,
all healthy hardware and no crashes, all "by itself".
(Though some strange NFS setup was involved, maybe there was bad
interaction. We never really found out what caused the corruption.)

That said, XFS is my preferred file system, both with and without DRBD.

In my experience, when XFS feels "corrupt", most of the time there had
been volatile caches (on-disk write buffers) and hard crashes involved.
Don't do that.

> #xfs_check /dev/vg1/lv_data
> ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
> be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
> re-running xfs_check.

So: are you able to mount, then umount it?

If so: it was simply not cleanly unmounted (crashed while being busy),
and that is all xfs_check complains about.

"Normal behaviour."

That's what the journal was designed for.
mount will do the journal replay/recovery, and all is well.

> If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
> the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
> Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
> of the filesystem before doing this.
>
> then if i repair, it i needed to xfs_repair with -L option which is not
> suggested.
>
> i can do repair but the real issue is on every boot xfs_check fails and it
> asks for repair with -L L.

In case you are *NOT* able to mount it, and you are already desperate to
get at the data, even just for "recovery":
many times you still can do a read-only mount ("mount -o ro").

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: http://www.LINBIT.com | Your Way to High Availability