[DRBD-user] ionice/schedulers/drdb

David A. J. Ripley daripley at globalnoc.iu.edu
Wed Nov 18 19:02:52 CET 2015

I have a question about i/o schedulers and drdb - I've googled around this but I've not been able to find an unambiguous answer. Any thoughts are welcome.

Generally, deadline is the recommended scheduler for block devices backing drdb volumes; however, this precludes the use of ionice to set i/o priorities.

My question is this: Would ionice make any difference anyways? It's not possible to set the scheduler on the drdb device itself; but will the ionice level get "passed through" to the underlying block device?

I've done some preliminary testing, but results are somewhat ambiguous, so before I dig down more I thought I'd see if anyone knew the real answer.

Thanks in advance

D.
--
David A. J. Ripley