[DRBD-user] split-brain on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS after reboot of master node

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Nov 17 15:16:25 CET 2015

On 17/11/15 12:56 AM, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi,
> Digimer wrote,
>
>> I understand the rationale and disagree with it, strongly. The build
>> order should be;
>>
>> 1. Initial node config
>> 2. Stonith
>> 3. everything else
>>
>> Stonith is not a feature, it is a requirement of any sane setup, full stop.
>>> Quoting the fine documentation:
>>>
>>> "stonith-enable=false tells the cluster to simply pretend that failed
>>> nodes are safely powered off".
>>
>> You can drive your car without seatbelts, too. You can pull the fuse on
>> your airbag system. You car still moves.
>>
>> I have yet to see a use-case where disabling stonith is a valid setup.
>
> We are using DRBD on our management system (monitoring, backup,
> update of the other cluster systems) for non-important data.
> Icinga status file, intermediate backup files, ...
> To avoid split-brain we use pingd, which helps for simple network
> problems. If the data is lost, we can simple rebuild the DRBD, as
> our important data is either in a master-master ldap or
> master-master mysql database. It is not always possible to setup
> STONITH if you don't get access to the underlying ESXi hosts or
> hardware. So I think we have a valid use-case for DRBD+Pacemaker
> without STONITH+Fencing.
>
> best regards
>  Waldemar

The pingd approach won't save you from a split-brain and thus data loss.
If you say that you don't mind losing data, then I question the entire
approach.

The only time not using fencing is not insane is when you have 100%
manual failure and you trust your admins to not screw up recovery (when
they're under pressure/being yelled at/haven't touched HA in months).

So no, I don't think this is a valid use-case... Accepting data loss is
not an acceptable case in HA, period. Maybe you think so in your case.

--
Digimer
access to education?