[DRBD-user] [Drbd-dev] howto enable auto-promote

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed May 20 18:01:38 CEST 2015

as requested, I move this thread from drbd-dev to drbd-user

> On May 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 02:25:41PM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> >
> > > Auto-promote is enabled. As you can see it failed, and it can only fail
> > > if it was enabled... Your problem is the "multiple primaries" thingy.
> > > Please tell us which drbdmanage commands you executed.
> >
> > What commands? The idea is that 'auto-promote' works without any commands.
> > So I just start the kvm VM on the second node, which tries to open the
> > device.
> >
> > So I tried to enable allow-two-primaries somehow. Adding it
> > to /etc/drbd.d/global_common.conf did not help.
>
> You probably forgot to "drbdadm adjust"...

Well, this helps, until I reboot. After that it is disabled again. How can
I make it persistent?

> > Then I tried:
> >
> > # drbdadm net-options --allow-two-primaries=yes vm-100-disk-1
> >
> > on each node, and it seems to work now.
> >
> > So where is the right place to set allow-two-primaries for
> > volumes managed by drbdmanage?
>
> Passing these "generic drbd options" to drbdmanage is work in progress.
> I expect it to be finished for the next release.
>
> > And why is that disabled by default?
> >

> Oh, because you really really have to know if two primiaries are a good
> idea. Allowing multiple primaries is definitely nothing that should be
> enabled by default.

I am developing the Proxmox VE storage plugin for drbd9. We always want to
be able to live migrate VMs, so we need to allow multiple primaries somehow.

But maybe we should only allow that temporarily, and disable it after
migration is done?