[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.4.x vs. recent kernels

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Fri Jan 16 09:22:56 CET 2015

Is it sign of senility to reply to ones own posts? ^o^

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:30:49 +0900 Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> basically a repeat from my post 9 months ago, this time with DRBD 8.4.5
> versus kernel 3.16 (the current Debian backport kernel).
>
> In short I have rather new, modern hardware that needs a pretty recent
> kernel, the stock 3.2 Debian Wheezy kernel won't even see the LSI 3008
> controller in there.
> No problem, install the backports kernel (3.16) and everything works.
> With 8.4.3, but I have machines running that for ages now w/o problems.
>
> Alas these machines also has their storage on SSDs, thus TRIM support is
> very high on the "desired feature" list.
>
> Now 8.4.5 is only supposed to work up to kernel 3.14, should I even
> bother with 3.16?
>
> Since the kernel version keeps getting behind the scenes updates all the
> time, was TRIM amongst those and is maybe supported in a recent kernel?

I went ahead and tested DRBD.
Surprise, surprise, with the 3.16 kernel I see:
---
drbd mb08: Agreed to support TRIM on protocol level
---

And indeed it works both during mkfs.ext4 and with fstrim.

Is there a (user friendly, not the kernel one) Changelog where one can
find out what other goodies have been backported to what kernel?

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/