[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.4.x vs. recent kernels

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Fri Jan 16 03:30:49 CET 2015

Hello,

basically a repeat from my post 9 months ago, this time with DRBD 8.4.5
versus kernel 3.16 (the current Debian backport kernel).

In short I have rather new, modern hardware that needs a pretty recent
kernel, the stock 3.2 Debian Wheezy kernel won't even see the LSI 3008
controller in there.
No problem, install the backports kernel (3.16) and everything works.
With 8.4.3, but I have machines running that for ages now w/o problems.

Alas these machines also has their storage on SSDs, thus TRIM support is
very high on the "desired feature" list.

Now 8.4.5 is only supposed to work up to kernel 3.14, should I even bother
with 3.16?

Since the kernel version keeps getting behind the scenes updates all the
time, was TRIM amongst those and is maybe supported in a recent kernel?

Are we going to see something higher than 8.4.3 in any kernel any time
soon?

All things considered, I'd rather go with 3.18 than 3.14 if possible.

Christian
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/