[DRBD-user] Best practice: drbd+lvm+gfs2+dm-crypt on dual primary

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Feb 9 19:12:37 CET 2015

On 09/02/15 01:03 PM, Patrick Prilisauer wrote:
> Hey,.. well I know many shortcuts ;-P SLES, RHEL aka EL,etc... so
> XENserver "must" be fine too.
>
> My goal is to have:
>
> a Server for KVM hosting... Mail server (Open change + Cyrus +
> postfix,...) Fileserver, AD DC using Samba 4,
>
> and some more services...
>
> If you Ask yourself why I try to do this using an Atom 2750 8 Core ad 16
> GB on Standard Sata disks I can answer it easily. I have to serve this
> services for 5 User and I do not have to care about High IO loads etc,
> to separate sequential from random IO to push the performance higher.
>
> My second Problem is that this server have their place in very small
> room without any possibility of cooling. So Atom with 20W TDP each must
> do this.
>
> another reason is the physical size,..
>
> If I would try to put one of my HP DL 380 I have at home, I would not be
> able to close the door..
>
> So better don't ask why I choose this components. It even took me 2
> hours to disassemble and assemble the rack again in fact the door frame
> was 3mm smaller :-P
>
> BUT I must see the good things: SCSI Cluster no longer exists…. My first
> and my worst shared storage.

I have no thoughts or concerns about performance, that's a question for
you and your users. I only care about properly built HA. :)

If your goal is to build an HA VM platform, and setup your HA
applications in VMs, you could try following the tutorial as it is (cman
+ rgmanager + drbd). It may not be the most up-to-date set of
applications, but it's very well field tested.

--
Digimer
access to education?