[DRBD-user] Best practice: drbd+lvm+gfs2+dm-crypt on dual primary

Patrick Prilisauer prilisauer at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:03:07 CET 2015

Hey,.. well I know many shortcuts ;-P SLES, RHEL aka EL,etc... so XENserver
"must" be fine too.

My goal is to have:

a Server for KVM hosting... Mail server (Open change + Cyrus + postfix,...)
Fileserver, AD DC using Samba 4,

and some more services...

If you Ask yourself why I try to do this using an Atom 2750 8 Core ad 16 GB
on Standard Sata disks I can answer it easily. I have to serve this
services for 5 User and I do not have to care about High IO loads etc, to
separate sequential from random IO to push the performance higher.

My second Problem is that this server have their place in very small room
without any possibility of cooling. So Atom with 20W TDP each must do this.

another reason is the physical size,..

If I would try to put one of my HP DL 380 I have at home, I would not be
able to close the door..

So better don't ask why I choose this components. It even took me 2 hours
to disassemble and assemble the rack again in fact the door frame was 3mm
smaller :-P

BUT I must see the good things: SCSI Cluster no longer exists…. My first
and my worst shared storage.