[DRBD-user] Data corruption risk in protocol A,C.

Wieck, Owen Owen.Wieck at ricardo.com
Fri Apr 24 17:18:27 CEST 2015

Tim--

I think the short answer is no difference, and yes it will resync.  When your nodes become disconnected, there is a "replay of the changes" when they reconnect -- a resync operation.  This page describes it:

http://drbd.linbit.com/users-guide-emb/s-quick-sync-bitmap.html

However, important note -- and this would be the same with both A and C protocols -- that resync is done from "front to back" of the block device, not in time/date order.  So for the duration of that resync operation, your secondary will be in an inconsistent state.  (Same goes for the write-ahead mode.  Use with caution!!)

As you noted, the main difference between A and C is if / when your primary node fails in some spectacular fashion (e.g. it blows up) you will lose acknowledged writes.  (Which is usually very bad.)

Warm Regards,
OLW