[DRBD-user] Antwort: Re: Drbd split brain after network failure

Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com
Thu Apr 9 16:53:01 CEST 2015

If you have the possibility to use a dedicated, ideally direct network
connection for DRBD rather than the interface you are using for all other
traffic as well, that would increase the stability of your solution.
Configure 2 rings in pacemaker and set the primary ring to use the direct
link. There is quite a chance that you might be unable to reach the stonith
device in case of network issues on the normal network, so relying on
stonith alone is a bad idea. Stonith can have unwanted sideeffects if the
fenced node is powered back on while the former master is down as well
(cascading powerfail or things like that). Yo want to make sure the
resource is fenced on both nodes before the node is fenced. Otherwise the
fenced node has no way of knowing, that his data is outdated. I have not
checked lately how this is implemented if the policy is set as suggested.
So be sure to test that the former slave can not become master if the
former master has failed in the meantime and no sync has taken place.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Robert Köppl

Customer Support & Projects
Teamleader IT Support

KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH
Waltenbachstraße 9
8700 Leoben, Austria
Phone: +43 3842 805-322
Fax: +43 3842 82930-500
robert.koeppl at knapp.com
www.KNAPP.com

Commercial register number: FN 138870x
Commercial register court: Leoben

The information in this e-mail (including any attachment) is confidential
and intended to be for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you have
received the e-mail by mistake, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use
of the contents of the e-mail is prohibited, and you must delete the e-mail
from your system. As e-mail can be changed electronically KNAPP assumes no
responsibility for any alteration to this e-mail or its attachments. KNAPP
has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this
e-mail has been swept for virus. However, KNAPP does not accept any
liability for damage sustained as a result of such attachment being virus
infected and strongly recommend that you carry out your own virus check
before opening any attachment.