[DRBD-user] "drbdsetup-84 primary 1 did not terminate within 5 seconds" -> "Unit drbd.service entered failed state"

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Tue Oct 28 17:46:47 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm using CentOS 7 with drbd (from latest stable linux 3.17.1 kernel and latest
stable drbd-utils, no cluster manager involved), and I run into this hopefully
easy to solve problem:

Upon
>  systemctl start drbd
DRBD does start up fine, syncs & all, but the drbd.service unit is unhappy anyway:

> drbdadm: Command 'drbdsetup-84 primary 1' did not terminate within 5 seconds
> systemd: drbd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=20/n/a
> systemd: Failed to start DRBD -- please disable. Unless you are NOT using a cluster manager..
> systemd: Unit drbd.service entered failed state.

Where does this (way too low!) 5 seconds timeout for drbdadm come from?

On my current setup, the time until the "disk( Inconsistent -> UpToDate )"
is ~20 seconds, but could of course be even longer. Can I change the timeout?

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg