[DRBD-user] Disk lost after resizing

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Nov 10 10:02:14 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 01:45:58PM -0800, Noe Nieto wrote:
> We ran out of disk and we added some more space to our DRDB setup.
>
> Unfortunately, we unmounted the drive by hand and after restarting our disk
> went missing.
>
> drbd-overview reports this right now:
>
> 1:r1  Connected Secondary/Secondary Diskless/Inconsistent  C
> r----
>
> Our drbd.conf is there: http://pastie.org/9703654
> Additionally, theres another file in /etc/drbd.d/global_common.conf with
> the following content:
> http://pastie.org/9703661  I'm not sure whether it gets processed or not.
>
> When I try to bring the disk up this is what hapens:
>
> drbdadm up r1
> Failure 111 Low.dev smaller than requested
>
> If I want to mount the drive this is what happens:
>
> mount /dev/drbd1 /mydisk -t ext4
> mount: block device /dev/drbd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only.
> mount: Wrong medium type.
>
> I also tried drbdadm resize r1 and it complains that it needs a primary
> disk.

With "Wrong Medium Type", DRBD is trying to tell you that it wants to be
made Primary first.

As it is Inconsistent on one node, and Diskless on the other,
it refuses to be made Primary, though.

"Lower device smaller than requested" is telling you that DRBD currently
thinks it is larger than what you want to attach.  You cannot attach a
disk that is smaller than the currently running configuration.

Check /proc/partitions for current sizes of relevant components.

What exactly did you do to "add more space"?
What do the logs say around when it was last "UpToDate/UpToDate"?

Also be careful with offline resizing,
the drbdmeta tool in DRBD versions 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 is broken
and may eat the initial part of your data on your backing store,
see
http://git.drbd.org/gitweb.cgi?p=drbd-utils.git;a=commit;h=4413afe8ed9819d45e7575c635e062ce2202cbbe

--
: Lars Ellenberg