[DRBD-user] Is anyone else getting blasted with DRBD emails from 2006?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 29 20:11:46 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:58:13AM -0400, Michael Monette wrote:
> Sorry it's not a technical question.
>
> My phone has been going off for the past 15 minutes solid from DRBD
> emails dating back to 2006. I only joined DRBDLand a few months ago.
> Is something going on with your mail server or?
>
> I just deleted 273 messages that came in and they are still flowing to
> my inbox..

Some "funny guy" recycled the mailing list archive
and reposted that to the list.

Thanks to those that have alerted us quickly,
I catched almost 3000 messages before they even left the server,
corresponding to over thousand individual such posts.

I'm not yet sure what the purpose of this was.
Possibly an attempt to generate an amplifying backscatter attack.

Note that apparently many such posts also went *directly*
from "funny guy" to recipients, (not via our mailer).
Those may or may not continue, and we won't be able
to do anything about those.

For now, things on our list server are back to being
more tightly moderated.

If you get more of these, please check the headers.
If they went through our server(s), let me know.
If not, feel free to notify me anyways.

Sorry for this annoyance.

--
: Lars Ellenberg