[DRBD-user] DRBD compatibility issue with pacemaker in UBUNTU 12.04

Mathias Eggers mathiaseggers at web.de
Sat May 17 11:46:19 CEST 2014

Hi Kemal,

I had some bad experience with the stock Ubuntu 12.04 drbd8 packages.
For example in the past they delivered an old drbd8-utils version
(8.3.11) with a more recent kernel module (8.4.2). Today (with all repos
active) you get drbd8-utils 8.4.3 with module 8.4.2 which is ok, but I
don't want to rely on a cluster where an dist-upgrade could break my drbd.
In my opinion Dirk did right to compile the module on his own. The docs
at drbd.org are straight forward and I didn't have to change anything in
the code. Be sure to compile with "--with-km" as building the module
isn't default.

Another point with your setup: You wrote that you want the VM(s) to
failover.
For this setup you do not need necessarily an active/active config. If
the cluster node running your VM fails, the other node cannot live
migrate any more.
But it is possible to configure cluster and drbd temporarily into
maintenance and active/active respectively for live migration during
planned downtime.
My favorite setup for a VM cluster uses KVM and DRBD as backing devices,
so I don't have to mount anything between the "promote" of drbd-device
and the "start" of KVM. This setup should work in nearly the same way
with Xen, because you can use the same resource agent in your cluster
config. I didn't use Xen for a couple of years, so I cannot privide
detailed information here, sorry.

Regards,
Mathias