[DRBD-user] Single versus multiple DRBD devices

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Mar 28 22:04:26 CET 2014

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:40:28 +0100 Bart Coninckx
<bart.coninckx at telenet.be> wrote:
> 	All,
>

> building a storage cluster which will offer SCST targets. These will
> be LVM based (nested LVM probably). In terms of performance, what is
> the most optimal strategy: one big DRBD device where the different
> Logical Volumes are installed on or a DRBD device per LV? If a resync
> needs to be done, the latter will probably better, as it allows us to
> choose which devices should be resynced first.

I do have several drbd volumes instead of one big. Then you can
choose which ones to sync first. And if your volumes are on different
disks, the order can be defined to sync volumes from each disk one
after the other but volumes from different disks in parallel. That way
one can max out a 2x10G connection with three volumes from three disks
all reading/writing sequential, instead of the disk stepping in its own
way by reading from several volumes on the same disk while the other
disks are idle...

And several drbd-volumes can fail-over individually.

Have fun,

Arnold