[DRBD-user] Linux bonding settings for back-to-back cables between DRBD hosts

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:15:09 CEST 2014

Hi all,
I have a working setup with 2 CentOS 6.5 hosts and DRBD 8.4.5 with a dedicated DRBD-only connection created by bonding (round-robin, i.e. "mode=balance-rr") dual-port 10G Ethernet cards connected back to back (fiber cables with no switches interposed).

Currently it's working with the usual "miimon=100" option and so uses interface carrier detection (I suppose) to detect faults, but given the peculiar setup (back-to-back cables) I wonder whether it could be better to use something like "arp_interval=100 arp_ip_target=x.y.z.t"

A search did not reveal any definitive answer on the subject (but I understand that "usual" enterprise deployments tend to always involve switches...), so I thought I could ask here hoping to find suggestions/case-histories.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Giuseppe