[DRBD-user] Hang in dstate Negotiating after unrelated data abort

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jul 4 14:37:58 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 01:52:07AM -0500, Zev Weiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran into some undesired behavior from DRBD earlier today -- I'm
> running 8.4.4 on CentOS 6.5 (kernel 2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64), with
> a fairly vanilla two-node, single-primary config replicating over a
> back-to-back 10GbE link.
>
> The DRBD resource in question holds a backup volume that we rotate a
> disk from periodically to take offsite, replacing it with the
> previously-offsite disk and then resyncing to that.  On the node
> (let's call it node0, and the other node1) that I was swapping the
> drive into/out of, I ran 'drbdadm detach' on the resource, leaving it
> temporarily diskless, and then 'drbdadm attach' with the
> newly-swapped-in disk once it was up and ready.  Given that the
> freshly-attached backing device would be from an older state of the
> same resource, I was hoping that DRBD would recognize this and do a
> bitmap-based resync of only the data that had been modified since that
> drive was most recently rotated out (I later realized this part of it
> wasn't likely to work out as I'd hoped).

No, it won't.
In fact, it "should" refuse the attach in the first place.

> Instead what happened when I re-attached was that node1 (the peer, not
> the one the detach/attach was done on) reported observing unrelated
> data and aborted, while node0 remained stuck in dstate Negotiating,
> where it appeared happy to remain indefinitely.

If you can, please try to reproduce with current drbd 8.4.5.  I have
reason to believe this may have been fixed in the state handling meanwhile.
If it is still broken, we need to fix it eventually.

Meanwhile: don't do that, then :-/

--
: Lars Ellenberg